A vegetarian main course of aubergines, tomatoes, raisins, capers and pine nuts.
PREP TIME: 40 mins
COOKING TIME: 35 mins
1 Aubergine – cut into ½ inch cubes
1 ½ table spoons of dried capers
350g of tomatoes
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
85g of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
43g of raisins
43g of pine nuts
- Toss eggplant with salt and place in a colander set over a bowl. Let sit, about 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat (around 180 degree Celsius). Add celery; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Add in the pine nuts and raisins and leave on the boil for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet. Add eggplant and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and capers. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until caponata is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Season caponata with vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley.